There are a million reasons home buyers and sellers move, invest, and want to buy and sell their homes but there is one thing they all have in common- questions about how it all works.
So here you go, your 6 step process to the home buying process:
1. First things first, figure out how much you can spend. You can do this by speaking with a mortgage broker. To find a great lender, you can check with your real estate agent (they work with brokers all the time and know who gets deals closed), find someone who has done a great job for your friends or family or find someone online. Look for someone that works for a local mortgage brokerage, has been in the business a while, and who has been recognized for fantastic service.
This local part is really important. Small mortgage brokers provide the best customer service, have better accountability, and usually can beat the rates of big banks.
2. Find a fantastic Realtor to help you. Again, ask your friends or family for referrals or find someone on line. Make sure they do real estate full time (most agents don’t). Also, make sure they specialize in the area you would like to buy.
3. Consult with your Realtor to find homes that meet your needs. Narrow down the neighborhood, the price range, and the style of home you want. In a perfect world, you and your agent would have such a good idea of what you want that you would only need to look at 4 to 5 houses to find your dream home.
4. Find the One! When you find your dream home, your agent will help you craft an offer and submit it to the listing agent. You agent will submit your offer, negotiate on your behalf, and guide you through the contract to close process.
5. Due your due diligence- submit your earnest money, get an inspection, an appraisal, apply for your loan and get property insurance. Review all documents your realtor and lender send you so you know everything about your potential home. If you have questions or concerns, ask your agent or consult an attorney. There are certain dates in which you can legally leave the contract with all of your earnest money. Make sure you know those.
6. Close on the property! The most exciting day of all! Your agent will organize the closing date for you. This is when you go to the title company, sign all the closing docs and get the keys to your new home.
Voila! Buying a property in a nutshell!
For further reading, check out:
Also, check out the 7 steps to selling your home: